Saturday, February 21, 2009

Women in Leadership: Nikki Haley


An ideal example of Women Empowerment, Nikki Haley is the first American Republican state legislator in the United Stated. Born and brought up in Bamberg, South Carolina, Nikki's parents Dr. Ajit and Raj Randhawa are Punjabi Sikh immigrants from Amritsar, India. Doing the nations much proud today she is a South Carolina House of Representatives legislator for Lexington Country.


Thinking outside the spider's web, Nikki has made several reforms in the system to eradicate issues of unemployment, illiteracy and enforce economic development. Winner of prestigious awards like "Friend of the Taxpayer" - South Carolina Association of Taxpayers in 2005, "Palmetto Leadership Award" - South Carolina Policy Council" and "Strom Thurmond Excellence in Public Service and Government Award" - South Carolina federation of Republican Women in 2006, she is a wife, a daughter and a mother of two. Find out more at: http://www.nikkihaley.com/


Nikki shares the experiences with SATimes:


First GOP Indian American in the nation to win a State House seat in 2004. What are some challenges you have faced?


I had to introduce myself to the district and communicate what I thought I could do differently in representing the district. I worked to develop trust and that took a lot of time, energy, and one-on-one conversations. In the end, the challenges proved to be worthwhile and the people were and have been incredibly supportive ever since.

Tell us about your role in your family business Exotica International.

I grew up in our 32 year old family business which is where I developed my work ethic and appreciation of small businesses. I am an accountant and I am responsible for the corporate accounting for the business.


What are some chief responsibilities as member of South Carolina Legislative?

As a legislator my goal is to educate my constituency on the issues that we face, get their opinions on these issues and report back my votes. I also have an active constituency that I help in all aspects of state government when they have problems to find them answers and get them to the right people so that their lives are easier and government is not in the way.

The key to earning the trust of District 87 voters?

I think the key to earning the trust of the voters is to keep in constant communication with them and to educate them on the issues. It is important that you communicate your actions and reasons for votes. I believe that they need to be informed so that they feel and know that they are actively involved in my representation and the legislative process.

Taxes pose a great problem in most parts of the world. What have been your prime contributions in tax reduction in Columbia?

I have worked on significant property tax reform in the past couple of years. In the next year I will be introducing legislation to eliminate personal property taxes on small businesses. My main concern is on accountability and transparency in government. I am sponsoring the 2009 Spending Accountability Act which will require all legislative votes to be on the record for public access and view.

What are your future goals for development of society in the coming years?

I don't know where life will take me but my one hope in life is that people know that I was here, represented them in a way that makes them proud, and that their lives are better for it.

What is life like away from work? A typical day in the life of Nikki Haley?

I'm a wife who believes that she is married to her very best friend in life and ultimate soul mate. I feel blessed everyday for the two children that call me Mom. I am a daughter who hopes that I can be half the person my parents are and taught me to be. I live each day hoping that I can make today better than yesterday. No two days are ever alike but I take it one day at a time and always strive to do the best that I can.

By Nikki Rattan/SATimes

No comments: