Sunday, September 14, 2008

Miss Pakistan World Natasha Paracha


Natasha Paracha, 23 and a graduate from University of California at Berkeley was crowned the new Miss Pakistan World in the annual beauty pageant in Toronto replacing Mahleej Sarkari. Paracha outdid a bevy of Pakistani beauties in the pageant to win the crown.

She is presently living in New York and has founded the Pakistani Students Association at UC Berkley and a non-profit organization called “Vision of Development”, which works for the upliftment of women in the backward areas of Pakistan.

The South Asian Times asked her a few questions on her recently found success as Miss Pakistan World.

1. How do you feel after winning the contest?

I was really honored and excited to win the title of Miss Pakistan
World 2008. There were lot of different emotions going through my
head, but I was very happy that the hard work and dedication paid
off.

2. Where were you born and brought up?

I was born in Islamabad, Pakistan. Soon after, my parents decided to move
to Los Angeles for my fathers watch business. However, my parents give
much importance to knowing our roots, so we divide our time between
Pakistan and the U.S.

3. What are your strengths that set you apart from other contestants?

I feel that in order to represent your country in a pageant there
are strengths that all contestants must possess -beauty,
intelligence, poise, humbleness and grace. I feel that I, along
with all the other contestants of this years Miss Pakistan World
pageant possessed these qualities. However, I feel that my passion
for life and drive to excel is what shinned during the interview
portion.

4. What are the Challenges you faced while preparing for the pageant?

When I first set out to take part of this pageant, I wanted my platform to
be different. I wanted to promote South Asian designers, stylists,
choreographers and interview coaches. It was a struggle at first when I
set out to find individuals from the South Asian community, but it was
well worth it. I feel that it if we work together as a community, we can
strive to achieve greater things.

5. How do you keep yourself fit?

I don't have much of a crazy workout routine or a strict diet. I
just try to eat healthy and incorporate a variety of fitness
activities in my everyday routine. Balance and moderation are key
to a healthy and happy lifestyle.

6. Who has been your role model or inspiration?

My mother has been my role model and inspiration to me. She has
been an amazing mother and friend. She has taught me the
importance of being a strong female leader in not only the
community, but also in college and through my work at the United
Nations. She has pushed me to strive for higher goals and further
my successes. My mom has taught me that life doesn't stop, as soon
as you have climbed over one hurdle, you must continue to the
next.

7. How much has participating in this pageant benefited you?

Participating in Miss Pakistan World has opened many doors for me. This
pageant has provided me with a platform to be an ambassador for my
country and represent Pakistan at an international level. I am honored
and humbled with my new role.

8. Did you get along well with the other participants in the competition?

Before coming to the pageant, I did not know what to expect from
the other participants in the competition. We all became so close
in the first few days of coaching. It became more of a team than
anything else and we all worked together rather than as
competitors. I feel as though we became like sisters over the
course of the training and competition.

9. What are your future plans after your victory? Do you plan to make the world a better place to live in, especially for women?

I hope to work hard this year and work towards economic development
in Pakistan, the alleviation of poverty, foster educational
opportunities for youth and be an advocate for women's rights. As
an ambassador for my country, I hope to work with various charity
organizations, corporate sponsors, and the community to accomplish
these aspirations.

10. Any Advice for future contestants?

My advice to future contestants is to mentally prepare them. Have a platform set for yourself and know why you want to enter this pageant because after you win, you will be a representative for your nation.

Indeed a woman of substance, Paracha is a true beauty with brains.

By Nikki Rattan

No comments: